Thomas McKillop works in the Construction team at Thomson Geer. He has more than ten years’ experience in the building and construction, mining, civil works and energy and resources industries.
Thomas has market-leading experience in security of payment legislation across all jurisdictions. He has acted for claimants and respondents in all aspects of the various security of payment regimes in over 125 adjudications.
Clients regard Thomas as a pragmatic adviser whose technical advice is delivered alongside an understanding of the unique commercial pressures and drivers affecting transactions in the construction industry.
In addition, Thomas has provided advice in relation to a range of construction and building licensing and compliance issues including for domestic and international clients.
Thomas is also at the forefront of advising and educating in relation to changes to building and construction law in Queensland and is a leading resource in relation to matters arising under the Building and Construction Legislation (Non-conforming Building Products— Chain of Responsibility and Other Matters) Amendment Act 2017 and the Building Industry Fairness (Security of Payment Act) 2017.
Thomas McKillop’s recent experience includes:
- Acting for Canadian-based EPC firm, SNC-Lavalin Inc in relation to a dispute regarding the operation of the world’s largest single train ammonia facility on the Burrup Peninsula, Western Australia. The claim is a subrogated insurance claim relating to historical damage to critical equipment in the plant and involves complicated legal questions of liability and the measure of damages.
- Acting for Tomkins Commercial & Industrial Builders in Supreme Court of Queensland litigation against a developer in relation to the recovery of $16 million for expectation damages.
- Advising a tier one contractor in relation to the construction of a significant road upgrade project for 11.3km of new highway including 13 bridges. Our work included a review of contract documentation and development of a project roadmap to manage contractual risk.
- Drafting project documentation and construction advice for one of Australia’s largest beef processors in relation to the civil and industrial construction works for a significant site upgrade and expansion project.
- Acting for Tomkins Commercial & Industrial Builders Pty Ltd in an adjudication application relating to a payment claim in the amount of $1,980,512.07 in which over 90% of the claimed amount was awarded.