Tania Smith has extensive experience acting for clients in complex commercial litigation, dispute resolution, insolvency and financial services litigation. Tania often advises insolvency practitioners, listed and unlisted corporations and individuals on all issues involving dispute resolution and insolvency.
With over 13 years’ experience, Tania often appears in both State and Federal Courts (with and without counsel) in Applications, Trials and Appeals.
Whilst also regularly advising major banks and non-bank lenders, Tania understands the legal complexities of commercial and residential lending, realisation of security and creditor remedies.
Having gained 3 years international experience in the Insolvency and Restructuring team of a large Canadian law firm in Vancouver, Tania assisted major banks including HSBC and Bank of Montreal on secured recoveries and special handling portfolios. In addition, Tania also assisted clients such as the British Columbia Securities Commission for litigation against directors in respect to fraud and misappropriation of funds and property.
Tania Smith’s recent experience includes:
- Acting for the Special Purpose Liquidator of Octaviar Limited for judicial advice before the Supreme Court of Queensland in the matter of Re Octaviar Ltd  QSC 353.
- Acting for Brisbane City Child Care Pty Ltd in the retrial of an Application for Judicial Review after a successful appeal in the Court of Appeal in the matter of: Brisbane City Child Care Pty Ltd v Kadell & Anor QCA 181.
- Acting for liquidators conducting public examinations in the Federal Court of Australia and initiating proceedings for voidable transactions under section 588FE of the Corporations Act and insolvent trading. Acting for examinees in proceedings in the Magistrates Court of Queensland.
- Acting for director successfully obtaining an order for the termination of a winding up of a company.
- Acting for an incorporated association for the appointment of a provisional liquidator, winding up and application for approval of remuneration of liquidator.