Stanley Drummond is Adjunct Head of Superannuation & Wealth Management at Thomson Geer. He specialises in superannuation, life and general insurance, managed funds, financial planning and financial services regulation. His expertise in these areas is founded on previous roles as in-house counsel at St. George Bank, Vero Insurance, ING Australia and GE Money.
Stanley is a prolific author on superannuation, insurance and other financial services topics, with articles frequently appearing in the Superannuation Law Bulletin, the Insurance Law Bulletin and the Insurance Law Journal. He is a frequent speaker at seminars/webinars convened by the Australian Insurance Law Association (AILA) and the Australian Institute of Superannuation Trustees (AIST).
His article “What is insurance?” is on the reading list for university students studying insurance law.
In 2021 he was awarded the AILA Insurance Law Prize. This is an annual prize which recognises “a person who has made a substantial contribution to the insurance industry or to insurance law”.
Stanley has been recognised by his peers as one of the Best Lawyers in Australia (2014 – 2022) in the practice area of Insurance Law. In 2015 to 2017, Stanley was named in Who’s Who Legal as a leading individual within the practice area of Pensions & Benefits worldwide.
Publications by Stanley Drummond include:
- “Utmost good faith and community standards of decency and fairness — ASIC v TAL”, (2021) 36(10) Insurance Law Bulletin 168
- “TPD claim: the meaning of work in ‘any’ occupation — Felix v NULIS Nominees“, (2020) 36 Insurance Law Bulletin 22
- “Interest on TPD benefit – Chapman v QSuper Board“, (2020) 35 Insurance Law Bulletin 110
- “Operation of offset clause on TPD benefits – Qantas Superannuation v McAulay“, (2019) 30 Superannuation Law Bulletin 129
- “What is insurance?”, (2018) 29 Insurance Law Journal 138
- Co-author of “Utmost good faith, unconscionable conduct and other notions of fairness – where are we now?”, (2017) 29 Insurance Law Journal 1
- Co-author of Wickens The Law of Life Insurance in Australia, 2009-2019. His contributions included new chapters “Insurance in superannuation”, “Direct marketing” and “Cancellations”
Stanley Drummond’s recent experience includes
- Acting for a superannuation trustee in an appeal to the Federal Court regarding the manner of distribution of a superannuation death benefit.
- Acting for a superannuation trustee in disability discrimination complaints to the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal and the ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
- Acting for a superannuation trustee in circumstances where approximately $100,000 of misappropriated funds had been deposited into a member’s account.
- Acting for a superannuation trustee in circumstances where an employer had made mistaken superannuation contributions of approximately $85,000.
- Advising a superannuation trustee about the enforceability of offset clauses in life insurance policies.
- Arranging arbitrations to resolve “on risk” disputes between 2 life insurance companies.
- Advising an offshore life insurance company about selling life insurance policies covering Australian residents.