Simon Ralton has advised a variety of principal and contractor clients on some of the major construction, infrastructure and renewable projects in Australia. His experience ranges from advising on, drafting and negotiating project documentation to advising clients in litigation and other forms of dispute resolution. He has also advised on a number of significant construction financing and M&A transactions. Simon has a depth of industry experience having worked on secondment to the legal teams of major players in construction, transport, road, rail and maritime industries. In addition, he has held engineering and management roles on mining and rail projects.
Simon Ralton was recently acknowledged by The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific (2018) for his work in the Dispute Resolution space.
Simon Ralton’s recent experience includes:
Recent transaction experience:
- Inland Rail Civil Works Southern Package: advising a contractor in the successful joint venture engaged by Australian Rail Track Corporation under a collaborative contracting model to deliver the Inland Rail Southern Civil Works Program. The Inland Rail Southern Civil Works Program is valued at more than $1.2 billion and involves the design and construction of approximately 306km of greenfield alignment within the Narromine to Narrabri section of Inland Rail.
- Wyangala Dam Wall Raising Alliance: advising a bidder in the tender issued by WaterNSW for raising the existing Wyangala Dam Wall to increase storage capacity and improve drought security, flood management and water reliability under an alliance contracting model.
- Inland Rail Narrabri to North Star SP1: advising a bidder in the tenderer for the Inland Rail Narrabri to North Star Construction Works package for the upgrade of 184km of existing rail corridor and construction of approximately 2km of new track near Moree, New South Wales.
- Parramatta Light Rail Stage 1 Infrastructure Works: advising the successful joint venture on the tender for the design and construction contract for the Parramatta Light Rail Stage 1 Infrastructure Works. This stage of the project will run from Westmead to Carlingford via the Parramatta CBD with an estimated contract value of $840M.
- Wallerawang Power Station acquisition and repurposing: advised the purchaser and developer on the acquisition of the Wallerawang Power Station from EnergyAustralia and on the tender and contract award for the works to repurpose the coal fired power station site into an industrial park that will attract clean energy and water intensive businesses.
- 6&8 Parramatta Square: acting for the design and construct contractor on the construction of 6&8 Parramatta Square, a commercial skyscraper consisting of two interconnected towers that will comprise 124,000 square metres of premium A-grade office space.
- NorthConnex Response and Maintenance Services: advising a bidder on the request for tender issued by Transurban for Stage B NorthConnex Response and Maintenance Service Contract.
- SRAPC: acting for a contractor in a joint venture on a bid for the Sydney Road Asset Performance Contract with Transport for NSW.
- Sydney Water Partnering for Success: acting for a contractor in a joint venture on a bid for the Regional Delivery Consortium to perform design, construction, maintenance and facilities management services to the assets of Sydney Water.
- Bannerton Solar Park: advising the owner of a solar farm on the tender and contractual arrangements for operation and maintenance services at the Bannerton Solar Park.
- Yandin Wind Farm Balance of Plant: advising a tenderer under a joint venture for the balance of plant engineering, procurement, construction, testing and commissioning of a wind farm in Dandaragan WA with an estimated contract value of $200M.
Recent dispute resolution experience:
- I.C.M Property Services Pty. Ltd. v Lendlease Building Pty Limited: acting for the defendant in Supreme Court of NSW Proceedings regarding a dispute concerning contract formation, contractual interpretation and payment for services performed.
- Cockram Construction Limited v CSR Building Products Limited & Anor: acting for the plaintiff in Supreme Court of NSW Proceedings on a judicial review of an adjudication determination under Security of Payment legislation.
- In the matter of J.A. Bradshaw Civil Contracting Pty Ltd (in liquidation): advising a contractor in Supreme Court of NSW proceedings relating to the claims by a liquidator of a subcontractor on the Gosford Hospital Project.
- Security of Payment legislation: acting on infrastructure, building, retirement living and renewable energy related adjudications under Security of Payment legislation.
- Residential building defects: instructed on a number of Supreme Court of NSW proceedings defending claims relating to alleged breaches of statutory warranties under the Home Building Act 1989 (NSW) and alleged breaches of the duty of care under the Design & Building Practitioners Act 2020 (NSW).