Ron principally consults on Commonwealth and State tax laws, tax dispute resolution and compliance enforcement. Ron specialises in trusts and trust disputes, succession and asset protection, business and investment structuring and tax sensitive commercial and property transactions.
Ron is an Accredited Specialist Tax Law and member of the Tax Law Advisory Committee with the Law Institute of Victoria. He is a member of the Law Institute of Victoria, the Law Society of Tasmania and The Tax Institute. Ron is a member of the Tax Technical Committee (Vic), a member and former chair of the States Taxes Committee (Vic) and former representative of the Victorian State Taxes Consultative Council for The Tax Institute. Ron is a member of the Property Council of Australia Tax Committee (Victoria) and the Law Society of Tasmania Property and Commercial Law Committee.
Ron is recognised by Doyle’s Guide as a Leading Tax Lawyer – Victoria (2015-2020) and Best Lawyers for tax law – Australia (2021 – 2022) and Global (2021).
Ron Jorgensen’s recent experience includes:
- Tax administration – private, product and class rulings, access and information exchange compliance, objections, remission applications and settlement and compromise negotiations
- Tax litigation – Tribunal, Supreme Court and Federal Court and High Court reviews and appeals, tax debt enforcement and tax compliance prosecutions
- Tax Practitioners’ Board disciplinary proceedings and tribunal reviews
- Taxation of trusts – trust establishment, variations and distributions management, trust estate litigation and charities
- Taxation of private companies – dividends, constructive dividends and company losses
- Taxation of high net worth individuals – personal services income, non-commercial losses and prepayments
- Structuring and restructuring private enterprise groups and capital gains tax consulting – restructuring rollovers, discount and small business concessions, the main residence exemption, compulsory acquisition exemption and succession planning
- GST consulting
- State taxation and imposts – duty, land tax, payroll tax, Growth Area Infrastructure Contribution (GAIC)