Roberta Bozzoli is a Partner in our Corporate team. She practises in the corporate and commercial area across a broad range of industry sectors including life sciences, health, education, travel, retail, technology, and telecommunications.
Her clients include private and listed companies, universities, research institutes, government departments and government owned corporations, infrastructure providers, and other professional service firms.
Roberta advises clients in relation to all commercial aspects of business. This includes providing advice (both domestic and cross border) in relation to unregulated mergers and acquisitions, structuring, governance, joint ventures, intellectual property, commercialization (including clinical trials), R & D agreements, licensing, manufacturing, and distribution arrangements.
Roberta is a committee member and former Queensland Chapter President of the Licensing Executive Society (Queensland Branch).
Roberta has been recognised by her peers as ‘Lawyer of the Year’ by Best Lawyers in Australia in the areas of Intellectual Property Law (2020) and Biotechnology law (2019) in Brisbane. She has been recognised by her peers as one of the Best Lawyers in Australia in the areas of Intellectual Property Law (2017 – 2021), Biotechnology Law (2018 – 2021), Life Sciences Practice (2019 – 2021), and Information Technology Law (2021). Roberta has also been named as a recommended lawyer in Queensland in Intellectual Property by Doyle’s Guide (2010, 2015 – 2020).
Roberta Bozzoli’s recent experience includes:
- Advised on the $130 million merger of the QBiotics Group, by the use of two schemes of arrangement to tophat existing companies, Qbiotics Limited and EcoBiotics Limited, with a new holding company, QBiotics Group Limited.
- Advising the Queensland Government on its biotechnology strategy, including negotiating benefit sharing agreements with the key Queensland universities. Roberta has also undertaken an independent review of the relevant legislation on behalf of Government.
- Advising pharma and life sciences entities in relation to research and development agreements and freedom to operate, clinical trials and clinical trial arrangements (for medicines and devices and for multicentre studies), including considering intellectual property issues, indemnity issues, publication rights, regulatory, and international data protection issues.
- Advising, drafting and negotiating agreements in respect of the Queensland NeCTAR Research Cloud Node (QCloud), and the RDSI node with its main data centre located at the University of Queensland’s main campus (the project is valued in the order of A$25 million). This project relates to the development of an integral part of nationwide research infrastructure, leveraging data collections stored in the local and national nodes, and integrating with access to Queensland-based HPC facilities and specialised cloud data services.
- Negotiating, documenting, and completing a complex transaction for Sunland Group Limited in relation to:
- the A$68.5 million sale of the Palazzo Versace Hotel, Gold Coast; and
- to exchange development projects in Dubai, being Palazzo Versace Dubai and D1 residential tower for 100% ownership of Palazzo Versace Gold Coast. This transaction was concluded with Sunland Group’s joint venture partner from the UAE – Enshaa PSC / Emirates Investment Holdings Limited.