Phil Kaunitz advises on commercial disputes and insolvency. He acts in all Australian jurisdictions.
He acts for clients in commercial disputes including contractual disputes, financial services, property, corporations law and competition and consumer law.
He also acts for banks, non-bank lenders and insolvency practitioners in relation to complex disputes, insolvency, enforcement action and regulatory matters and recently completed a seven month secondment to a major bank.
Phil is recognised by Legal 500 Asia-Pacific as a recommended lawyer in the areas of Restructuring and Insolvency (2018 & 2020) and Dispute Resolution (2019).
Phil Kaunitz’s recent experience includes:
- Acting for a major bank in a claim against a supplier for breach of contract and negligence.
- Acting for a public mining company in response to an application for judicial review of a decision to grant it a prospecting licence and lease of land.
- Acting for a large private property group in a dispute arising from a joint venture to develop a parcel of land.
- Acting for parties to various disputes arising from sale of business agreements.
Financial services and insolvency
- Acting for 3 of the 4 major banks and various non-bank lenders in relation to distressed loans, insolvency, restructuring and enforcement action.
- Acting for banks and non-bank lenders against various claims for breach of contract, breach of financial services laws, breach of the Australian Consumer Law, unconscionability, negligence and fraud.
- Acting for administrators and liquidators in all aspects of insolvency.