Peter has more than 30 years’ experience in public liability, professional indemnity, product liability, motor and property insurance and self-insurance. More recently his practice has focussed on the heavy transport and car rental sectors within the transport industry.
In the heavy transport sector Peter acts for insurers in drafting motor, liability, freight and business loss policies as well as advising on underwriting and compliance issues. He also acts in indemnity and liability disputes for these insurers.
In the car rental sector his focus is on compliance, which includes drafting rental agreements and terms and conditions compliant with the consumer and corporations’ law and advice on promotional, operational and reputational issues that are unique to this sector.
In both sectors he advises his clients on the challenges posed by new technologies and new business models.
As an expert in these sectors of the transport industry, Peter has an excellent rapport with the key participants and he recognises the importance of responding quickly to the needs of his clients.
Recent experience includes:
- Acting for the Australian Finance Industry Association (AFIA) on the drafting, development and consultation of the AFIA Car Rental Code of Practice. The Code for members of AFIA, who have approximately 75% of the total market share by revenue of the car rental market in Australia, went live on 1 March 2018.
- A recent review of a major insurer’s product disclosure statement and heavy motor insurance policy with an emphasis on the use of plain English terminology and formatting suitable for on line sales and promotion.
- Drafting a Code of Conduct and a Fair Wear and Tear Guide for use in the car rental industry.
- Drafting rental terms and conditions for an international car rental company, which are in use throughout Australia and New Zealand.
- Acting for the insurer in defending personal injury claims for damages arising from incidents that occurred in the heavy transport sector.