Persa is a Partner in our Melbourne Construction and Infrastructure Team, and has over 15 years’ experience practising in the area of construction and infrastructure.
She has expertise in all aspects of construction and infrastructure projects including acting on behalf of parties in dispute, adjudications under Security of Payment Legislation, front end drafting and negotiation of construction procurement documents and building contracts and assisting parties with the administration of construction contracts.
Persa regularly acts for principals, contractors, subcontractors and project managers and therefore has expertise on all sides of construction transactions.
Her litigation and dispute resolution experience includes appearing in matters before VCAT, the County Court, the Supreme Court of Victoria, the Court of Appeal and the High Court.
Persa works in partnership with many blue chip clients, and is committed to delivering pragmatic advice and real and commercial value in this highly complex and competitive sector.
Persa was recognised by Doyle’s Guide (2017, 2019 and 2020) as a ‘Rising Star’ in Australia in Construction & Infrastructure.
Persa Buchanan’s recent experience includes:
- Representing an independent, Australian-owned petrol and convenience company and its related entities in relation to a number of disputes with contractors relating to the construction of petrol stations at sites throughout Victoria and Queensland. This included the successful defence of an application before the Supreme Court of Victoria seeking to restrain the company from seeking recourse to security provided under the construction contracts, successfully defeating two applications for summary judgment before the Supreme Court of Victoria under Security of Payment Legislation, preparing detailed responses to a number of adjudication applications and representing United in proceedings before the Supreme Court of Queensland.
- Acting on behalf of a leading international property and infrastructure group before the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal responding to claims of alleged defective works at an iconic Melbourne apartment building (claim valued at $1.5million). The dispute included an application to the Supreme Court of Victoria to appeal a decision of the Tribunal regarding the limitation period imposed by section 134 of the Building Act.
- Advising Grocon (Scotts Church) Pty Ltd, a subsidiary of the Grocon Group, in relation to litigation arising out of the design and construction of a premier office building at 150 Collins Street Melbourne. This dispute involved multiple adjudication applications as well as five proceedings in the Supreme Court of Victoria, an appeal to the Victorian Court of Appeal and an application for Special Leave to the High Court.
- Representing Poly Global, a diversified property developer, in relation to a number of large residential development projects including drafting construction contracts, consultant agreements, deeds of novation and providing advice regarding contract administration.
- Acting on behalf of The Salvation Army to prepare a suite of construction contracts for the delivery of new projects in Victoria, South Australia and Northern Territory, and providing advice in relation to consultant agreements for those projects.
- Advising The Lucas Group in relation to a suite of construction contracts for the fit out of several high profile Melbourne restaurants including Go Go Bar, Chin Chin and Hawker Hall.