Persa Buchanan specialises in the area of construction and major projects.
She has advised on a variety of infrastructure developments including hospitals, energy and utilities developments and residential.
Persa’s expertise includes acting on behalf of parties in dispute in the areas of construction, engineering and infrastructure, drafting and negotiating construction and related contracts and assisting contractors and principals in the administration of construction contracts.
Persa acts for many blue chip clients in the construction and infrastructure industry, and is committed to delivering real and commercial value in this highly complex and competitive sector.
Persa has experience appearing in matters before VCAT, the County Court, the Supreme Court of Victoria, the Court of Appeal and the High Court.
Persa was recognised by Doyle’s Guide as a ‘Rising Star’ in Constructions & Infrastructure law in Australia (2017 and 2019).
Persa Buchanan’s recent experience includes:
- Acting for Sugar Australia in a multi-million dollar dispute relating to the Yarraville Sugar Refinery. This has included providing advice during the administration of the contract, multiple adjudication applications in Victoria as well as proceedings in the NSW and Victorian Supreme Courts and the Victorian Court of Appeal.
- Acting on behalf of a developer in relation to litigation arising out of the design and construction of a premier office building in the Melbourne CBD. This has included providing advice in relation to multiple adjudication applications as well as five proceedings in the Supreme Court of Victoria, an appeal to the Victorian Court of Appeal and an application for Special Leave to the High Court.
- Acting for a contractor in relation to litigation arising out of the design and construction of the Eastern Treatment Plant in Melbourne ($40 million).
- Developing a suite of construction contracts for Ambulance Victoria including an Amended AS 4000, Minor Works Contract, Conditions of Tender, Purchase Order and Letter of Intent.
- Acting for a developer/builder of residential apartment buildings including drafting construction contracts, providing advice regarding contract administration, payment disputes and litigation.