Nick Curran is a Partner in the Disputes team with more than 15 years’ experience in commercial litigation and dispute resolution, and restructuring and insolvency.
He advises insolvency practitioners, banks and individuals in relation to all aspects of corporate insolvency including receivership, voluntary administration and liquidation, as well as personal insolvency. He also acts for a variety of companies and businesses involved in commercial litigation, including publicly-listed companies, financial services providers, banks and other lenders.
Nick also has first-hand experience with the operation of banks and other large organisations, having spent two years working as in-house Legal Counsel for Fortis Bank (now Credit Suisse) in Dublin, which specialised in the provision of banking and other financial services to investment funds.
Nick has been recognised by his peers as one of the Best Lawyers in Australia (2021 – 2022) in the area of Insolvency and Reorganization Law.
Nick Curran’s recent experience includes:
Restructuring and Insolvency
- Acting for Voluntary Administrators appointed to a major Victorian tourist attraction.
- Appointed as Manager by the Victorian Legal Services Board to facilitate the management and wind down of a Melbourne legal practice.
- Acting for the Trustee of a bankrupt that operated a $154 million Ponzi scheme, and recovering funds for the benefit of the bankrupt estate.
- Acting for a company and its director defending an application brought in the Supreme Court of Victoria to set aside a deed of company arrangement.
- Acting for Receivers and Managers to facilitate the sale of real property.
- Acting for a Bankruptcy Trustee conducting examinations in the Federal Circuit Court
- Advising Voluntary Administrators/Liquidators in relation to claims under the Personal Property Securities Act.
- Advising witnesses in relation to examinations conducted by Liquidators in the Supreme Court of Victoria.
Commercial Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Acting for a major Australian bank seeking an urgent injunction in order to freeze funds mistakenly paid out to a customer.
- Acting for a national franchisor in litigation against a former employee, former franchisee and competitor, seeking to protect IP.
- Acting for the vendors in respect of a failed property acquisition, and successfully obtaining delivery of the property via proceedings in the Supreme Court of Victoria.
- Acting for a national consultancy firm in defending a $3.6 million professional negligence claim issued by a Liquidator.
- Acting for an ASX-listed lender defending a $45 million class action in the Federal Court in New South Wales, and obtaining Court approval of the settlement.