Neil has been recognised by his peers as one of the Best Lawyers in Australia (2016 – 2020) in the area of Insolvency and Reorganization Law, and in Doyle’s Guide as a recommended Insolvency & Reconstruction lawyer (2016 – 2019), and in the area of Commercial Litigation & Dispute Resolution (2018 & 2019).
Neil Hannan’s recent experience includes:
- Advising Westpac Banking Corporation in relation to recovery against a partnership that operated as a professional services firm in an industry that was regulated by local laws that prevented the Bank being able to enforce in the ordinary manner by appointing a receiver to the business.
- Acting for a defendant in the class action brought by residents in Cranbourne, Victoria arising out of the escape of gas from an old council landfill which abutted a new residential development. The proceedings settled at mediation on confidential terms.
- Acting for a major agricultural chemical company in respect of a claim against its public liability insurers who had denied indemnity in respect of a series of claims arising out of the same factual circumstances.
- Acting for the liquidator of a company which acted as trustee of unregistered managed investments scheme in obtaining orders winding up the managed investments scheme and the scheme which operated a mortgage lending business generally.
- Acting for a minority shareholder in respect of a series of shareholder disputes concerning preemptive rights granted under the constitutions of a group of companies, which held large interests in mining tenements in the Northern Territory. The proceedings ultimately resolved by a buy out of the minority shareholder.