Michael O’Donnell has more than 30 years of experience as a disputes/litigation lawyer. He has an accounting degree and a street-wise approach.
Michael specialises in:
- Recovery of money and assets out of trade, finance or fraudulent transactions, both in Australia and internationally.
- Corporate and personal insolvency/bankruptcy, director’s duties, prosecutions and defence of claims in bankruptcy, liquidation, administration and receivership.
- Transactional structuring, strategic risk management, and distressed company restructuring.
- Commercial property and lease disputes.
Michael is a tenacious litigator when required, and has conducted numerous court actions as counsel at all levels, including the High Court. In more recent years his role has been in developing strategy in the litigious processes to drive efficient, commercially relevant outcomes for clients.
Michael completed the Australian Restructuring Insolvency and Turnaround Association’s Advanced Insolvency Course in 1992 and was one of the first lawyers in Australia to be admitted to full membership of the Association.
Michael has been recognised by his peers as one of the Best Lawyers in Australia (2016 – 2022) in the area of Insolvency and Reorganization Law. Michael has also received recognition in Doyle’s Guide as a leading lawyer (2021) and a recommended lawyer (2014 – 2017 & 2020) in Insolvency and Restructuring; and a recommended lawyer (2017 – 2018 & 2020) in Commercial Litigation & Dispute Resolution in South Australia.
Michael O’Donnell’s recent experience includes:
- Capital Markets/Private Equity – defence of claims made in connection with major corporate share buyback and financing transactions.
- Directors and officers duties – defence of professional directors from fallout of corporate collapse.
- Directors and officers duties – Australian domestic and International civil actions against directors and officers for breach of duties, breach of fiduciary duty and tracing of assets.
- US based global investment manager – advising in relation to a major distressed debt investment and exit strategies in Australia.
- US, European and Asian corporate entities or insolvency administrators – tracing and recovering assets in Australia.
- Australian based entities – tracing and recovering assets taken overseas fraudulently and via more sophisticated methods such as transfer pricing.