Mark Gioskos specialises in giving advice in complex tax litigation and tax audit matters. He has extensive experience in negotiating and settling tax-related disputes, with an emphasis on achieving efficient and commercial outcomes for his clients. Mark also regularly advises clients on various compliance issues under both Federal and State based revenue laws, as well as corporate and governance issues, succession planning and estate administration, and other regulatory matters.
Mark is a Fellow member of The Tax Institute, and lectures on various tax law topics for The Tax Institute’s Chartered Tax Adviser Program. He is also a member of The Tax Institute’s Professional Development Committee in Victoria. Mark has authored a number of articles published in professional journals, and is a regular presenter at seminars and discussion groups.
Mark Gioskos’s recent experience includes:
- Advising and appearing in various matters before Federal and State courts and tribunals, involving tax appeals, deceased estates, guardianship and administration, tax debt recovery, general commercial disputes, seizures under proceeds of crime legislation, and Federal and State white-collar crime and other criminal offences.
- Acting for clients in tax and duty audits, and in mediations and negotiations with revenue authorities. Advising on various tax administration, enforcement and information-gathering measures, including director penalty notices, garnishee notices and freezing orders.
- Advising on various business establishments, acquisitions and restructures, including commercial and tax advice, and post-transaction registrations under relevant statutory schemes. Clients in key projects have involved law firms, accounting and tax advisory firms, freight forwarders, estate agents, and businesses in the building and construction and catering industries.
- Advising trustees, beneficiaries and tax agents on the establishment of trusts and variations to trust deeds, governance and tax compliance, applications for probate, and family provision applications.
- Advising insolvency practitioners and creditors in various liquidations of companies and incorporated associations, receiverships and bankruptcies.
- Advising tax-exempt entities on registration under charities law, endorsements as tax-exempt and for deductible gift recipient status, and governance and compliance.