Karen is a property lawyer in the Sydney office specialising in leasing and mixed use and residential development projects. She has acted for a wide spectrum of clients including both national and international corporates.
Karen has extensive experience in acting for companies with large land interests, whose core business is not property.
She has advised both landlords and tenants and developers of both greenfield and brownfield sites. She has significant experience in stratum and strata developments as well as advising on issues related to contaminated land.
Karen is the director of the Thomson Geer National Leasing Team, which consists of a group of interstate lawyers who focus on leasing. Karen is committed to delivering value for the various leasing clients that the group acts for – which means focusing on the specific commercial and legal drivers for each transaction and providing a commercial solution.
Recent experience includes:
- Acting in relation to the national property portfolios of Retail Apparel Group, LinkedIn, Group Zara Australia, NRMA and Mercedes Benz.
- Acting for a healthcare provider in relation to subletting space in its private hospital.
- Advising on all aspects of the development of “Divercity” at Waterloo, a 30,000m2 multi-tower residential property project including, residential sale contracts for off-the-plan sales, strata management statements, strata by-laws, easements and leases.
- Managing the divestment of an oil company’s land in NSW – much of which is contaminated. These contracts are heavily negotiated with the buyers and there is an ongoing management of the remediation process for each site. As well as the divestment of this client’s land, Karen has also advised the client on various property related issues, including issues around lease exits and make good and the disclosure obligations in relation to contaminated land.
- Undertaking property due diligence for a public juridic person in relation to the transfer of health and education assets (across 3 states).
- Acted for the developer in relation to registration of the community plan, various stratum and strata plans and all associated documentation. This was one of the largest residential developments in Sydney at the time.
- Acted for the developer in relation to the refurbishment of a 20 storey Sydney CBD building. This was a vertical staged strata development – one of the first of its kind in NSW.