Harold Werksman is an accredited commercial litigation and mediation specialist and practices with particular emphasis on complex corporate, commercial, contract interpretation and trade practices disputes.
He is an Australian pioneer in the use of alternative dispute resolution processes and has developed specialised negotiating techniques designed for the resolution of commercial disputes. Harold is often called upon to provide strategic advice to assist clients to avoid litigation.
He has been nominated by general counsel as one of “Australia’s Best Lawyers As Judged By Their Clients” in The Australian. Harold is recognised by his peers as one of the Best Lawyers in Australia in the area of Alternative Dispute Resolution (2017 – 2021), and has been recognised by Doyle’s Guide (2017 – 2020) as a recommended Commercial Litigation & Dispute Resolution lawyer in NSW. Harold has also been recognised by the Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2019) as a recommended lawyer in the area of Dispute Resolution.
Harold Werksman’s recent experience includes:
- Acted for Axis Bank Limited in proceedings to enforce Facility Agreement and obtaining freezing orders.
- Acted for borrower in successfully defending proceedings on a guarantee which was determined in the Court of Appeal.
- Acting for shareholders in contested oppression proceedings.
- Advised BlueScope Steel Limited concerning the interpretation of a complex iron ore supply contract in the Commercial List of the Supreme Court of New South Wales.
- Acted for City of Sydney in proceedings against a licensee for breach of contract, and breach of equitable duties in the Federal and Supreme Courts.
- Provision of strategic solutions to Deloitte over the past 20 years in relation to a wide variety of disputes concerning prospectuses, sales of business and audit issues which have been successfully resolved.
- Acted in one of the largest litigated IT cases in Australia involving a damages claim in excess of $150 million. The multiparty litigation involved contractual interpretation, and trade practices issues.
- Advised Wollongong Coal Limited in relation to complex commercial disputes concerning the interpretation of finance contracts and convertible bonds.