George is a taxation and transaction advisory specialist.
George acts for a range of clients in relation to their obligations under federal, state and international taxation systems, corporations law and regulatory matters in various sectors including government, funds management, financial services, energy & resources, agriculture, property development and not for profit.
George advises private, public, government and not for profit clients on taxation matters, structuring, mergers and acquisitions, pre and post-acquisition restructures, the establishment of ESOPs and other employee equity arrangements as well as equity and property fund establishments and inbound & outbound investment structures.
George has been recognised by his peers as ‘Lawyer of the Year’ by Best Lawyers in Australia (2021) in the area of Tax Law in Adelaide. He has also been recognised by his peers as one of the Best Lawyers in Australia in the areas of Trusts and Estates (2018 – 2021) and Tax Law (2019 – 2021), and has been recognised by Doyle’s Guide as a leading (2017 -2020) and recommended (2016) tax lawyer in South Australia.
George Hodson’s recent experience includes:
- Advising large private groups and ASX listed companies on business structuring and mergers and acquisitions.
- Acting for clients against the ATO and state/territory revenue offices in taxation litigation matters and advising clients on audit management.
- Advising investors and managers of listed and unlisted private equity and property funds in relation to structuring, acquisitions and divestments.
- Advising property developers on income tax, GST and state taxes in relation to structuring and undertaking domestic and foreign developments.
- Advising private and listed multinationals on structuring inbound and outbound business establishments and acquisitions.
- Advising private and listed miners and explorers on tax and duty issues arising from acquisitions, farm-in and divestment activities.
- Advising Australian discretionary mutual funds on domestic and international taxation and regulatory issues.