Emma has more than 20 years’ experience acting for clients in disputes across industries including banking and financial services, property, insurance and government. Her experience includes advising on a broad range of commercial contractual disputes, property and leasing disputes, misleading and deceptive conduct and unconscionable conduct claims, breach of director duties, negligence, insider trading, an ICAC inquiry and dealing with regulatory bodies such as ASIC.
Emma acts for two leading Australian banks, an Australian regional bank and a major Australian REIT.
Emma is actively engaged in both formal and informal alternative dispute resolution on behalf of her clients. She has been accredited as a mediator with LEADR and is a professional member of the Resolution Institute.
Emma’s many years of experience in providing dispute resolution services to the corporate sector, as well as her management experience and qualifications means she is commercially orientated and acutely aware of clients’ commercial imperatives, as well as the need to effectively manage risk. Emma has held various management roles throughout her career including as Chair of a board. She also has a Masters in Law and Management.
Emma believes in the importance of relationships and that service, reliability and accessibility are what make her valuable to her clients.
Emma Hodgman’s recent experience includes:
- Acting for a former CEO of a pharmaceutical company in relation to an ASIC investigation and subsequent court proceedings regarding insider trading.
- Acting for a major Australian bank in NSW Court of Appeal regarding allegations of breach of mortgagee’s duties, breach of contract, fraud and unconscionable conduct.
- Advising a major REIT in relation to a lease dispute concerning make good.
- Acting for a wind farm company in NSW Supreme Court proceedings in relation to a scheme of arrangement.
- Acting for an individual summonsed for court examination by a liquidator in relation to the insolvency of a travel business.
- Advising companies in relation to FOI and GIPA applications.
- Acting for an executor of an estate in relation to a proprietary estoppel claim.
- Advising a travel business in relation to a dispute with a service provider regarding an online booking platform.
- Advising a company regarding a dispute over mining tenements in Western Australia.
- Acting for an Australian regional bank in relation to Federal Court PPSA rectification proceedings.
- Advising a company in relation to alleged preference claims, Phoenix activity and insolvent trading.
- Acting for a major Australian bank in relation to court proceedings for orders for sale of mortgaged property commenced by second ranking security providers.
- Acting for major Australian bank in relation to court proceedings seeking freezing orders over customer accounts.