Demetrios Christou is a corporate and technology lawyer specialising in technology, telecommunications, outsourcing, cyber security and privacy.
He advises clients on complex contractual arrangements, including major procurement contracts, cloud service agreements, smart grid deployments, infrastructure access arrangements and reseller, supply and logistics arrangements. He also advises his clients on associated regulatory issues in relation to infrastructure access arrangements and telecommunications infrastructure deployments.
Demetrios advises clients across a variety of industries spanning defence, telecommunications, technology, and supply chain management with his clients including government agencies and domestic and international technology suppliers.
Demetrios also advises clients on a broad range of corporate matters including corporate governance, domestic and cross border mergers and acquisitions, corporate structures and shareholder arrangements.
Demetrios draws on his broad experience to provide strategic, practical and effective legal advice to clients.
Demetrios has received acknowledgement from The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific (2018 – 2021) for his work in the IT and Telecoms space.
Demetrios Christou’s recent experience includes:
- Advising defence contractors in connection with the Australian Government’s Offshore Patrol Vessel Program and the Future Submarine Program.
- Advising the ASX on the acquisition of new technology from a Swedish company to support and operate a new share trading platform.
- Advising Itron, Inc (formerly Silver Spring Networks), a US based smart grid supplier and operator, on various smart grid deployments around Australia and South East Asia.
- Advising electricity distributors, Ausgrid, Endeavour Energy, Essential Energy and Western Power on their facilities access arrangements with NBN Co on the rollout of the National Broadband Network, including advising on the complex regulatory access regime under Australian Telecommunications law.
- Advising the ASX on the transfer of the administration of the BBSW benchmark rate from the Australian Financial Markets Association to the ASX.
Presentations and Publications:
Demetrios regularly presents on a range of legal topics in the technology area, including:
- ‘The Adoption of Digital Technology, How will policy, ethics and the law keep up?’, 5 July 2018, panel member with Michael Brick, Legal and Corporate Affairs Director with Microsoft and Jane Perrier Special Counsel, Technology, Innovation and Intellectual Property Telstra
- ‘Buying Cloud Services’ Association of Corporate Counsel, 2017/2018 continuing professional development, 29 August 2017
Recent publications include:
- ‘How Will Consumers Value the Data They Provide After the Cambridge Analytica Revelations?’, Communications and Media Law Association Volume 37 Issue 2, June 2018