Ben Thrift is an experienced litigator with extensive banking, insolvency and commercial skills and a unique ability to relate to clients. His detailed understanding of commercial imperatives and markets enables him to provide relevant advice to clients in a way which adds value to their business.
Frequently appearing in Federal and State Courts for over 14 years in jurisdictions across Australia and representing clients in mediations, Ben is adept at managing litigation with a strong understanding of the emphasis which banks and other institutional clients place on cost-effectiveness. Ben also represents parties in property disputes arising from leases and sale transactions and has successfully appeared in VCAT and before the Small Business Commissioner in respect of those matters.
With significant experience in insolvency and restructuring matters, Ben’s experience includes drafting commercial documentation and negotiating the sale of business, together with a managing a broad range of asset recovery litigation.
Ben’s friendly and relaxed nature enables him to quickly build strong relationships. Ben is an outcome-focused lawyer and enjoys working with clients and colleagues in high-pressure environments to achieve success.
Ben Thrift’s recent experience includes:
- Acting for Ferrier Hodgson in their capacity as receivers and managers of a pharmacy chain located across the Eastern seaboard. This included the negotiation and drafting of sale documentation in respect of several individual multi-million dollar businesses, together with the creation of security interests in certain personal property.
- Acting for the former directors of an ASX-200 company in multi-party litigation alleging breach of directors duties in respect of the company’s accounts. Ben’s role included the preparation of lay and expert evidence in respect of allegations that accounts were not true and fair on the basis of highly technical accounting issues.
- Successfully acting for Blackstone in respect of a significant leasing dispute. Ben successfully obtained an order and recovered possession of an industrial property and managed responses to statutory Notices to Produce issued by EPA Victoria regarding the tenant’s actions.
- Negotiating the efficient recovery of a multi-million dollar debt for ANZ. The role included negotiating and documenting an asset management arrangement with a corporate research and development customer of ANZ, which granted critical additional security to in circumstances where the bank otherwise faced a multi-million dollar exposure. Ultimately ANZ was paid in full within six months of negotiations commencing.
- Acted for a large Melbourne-based property consortium in proceedings brought by Receivers in relation to a multi-million dollar contract of sale. The matter was set for trial within five weeks of proceedings being commenced and Ben’s role involved preparing affidavit evidence from six witnesses and otherwise managing all aspects of the litigation.