Barbara Callanan has extensive experience in Property & Development and Environment & Planning law. Barbara’s background includes six years with the Asia Iron Australia Group where she was the sole in-house counsel advising on a range of matters including regulatory compliance, contracts, mining, environment, property, governance, disputes and litigation.
Prior to this, Barbara practised at a senior level with a number of national and local law firms.
Barbara has acted for a wide range of clients including local governments, national and local property developers, statutory authorities, heavy industries and individual land owners. Having worked as In-house Counsel, Barbara understands the need for the delivery of effective and efficient legal services.
In 2017 Barbara completed a Graduate Diploma in Applied Corporate Governance with the Governance Institute and was awarded National Dux in Risk and Compliance in 2016.
Barbara Callanan’s relevant experience includes:
- Acting for Mirvac (WA) Pty Limited on their masterplanned community subdivisions, from initial contracts to purchasing land, preparation of subdivisional property documentation, preparation of proforma residential off the plan and on the plan contract packs, and related issues including advising on developer contributions and revision and preparation of agreements to achieve clearances with various statutory authorities.
- Acting for the Metrowest Group in the acquisition of land for various commercial and retail developments, including preparation of contracts for sale, development management and joint venture agreements, agreements for lease and leases.
- Acted for the City of Subiaco on a major land transaction involving the sale of a superlot created from 10 contiguous properties on Hay Street, subject to a Crown Grant in Trust, providing advice on the major land transaction provisions of the Local Government Act and preparing all auction contract documentation.
- Acted for multiple owners of a 15 lot commercial strata complex in advising on individual leases and effecting the termination of these leases by redevelopment notices and surrenders, on consequential Supreme Court litigation to achieve vacant possession, and on the multiple contracts for sale and settlements so as to achieve concurrent settlements of all 15 lots to a single purchaser.
- Acting for local governments in the preparation of various documentation to achieve clearance of conditions of development and subdivision approvals.