Adam Spitz has a broad background in commercial and dispute resolution matters and a particular focus and expertise in building & construction matters. He has extensive experience working with developers, principals, consultants, head contractors, subcontractors and suppliers to facilitate and manage commercial transactions and disputes within Western Australia’s construction and natural resources industries.
Adam’s commercial and front-end construction practice includes preparation and review of tenders, drafting, negotiating and reviewing a wide range of contracts and transactional documents, including advice on their administration and management and providing in-house training for clients on the administration and management of contracts, Security of Payment legislation and dispute resolution.
He is also an experienced dispute resolution lawyer, with his expertise including commercial negotiations and dispute resolution conferences, mediations, expert determinations, the preparation and response to adjudication applications under Security of Payment legislation and the judicial review of adjudicator’s determinations and arbitration and litigation.
Prior to relocating to Australia, Adam lived in the United States where he worked in-house on commercial transactions and dispute resolution for a government regulated energy company.
Adam Spitz’s relevant experience includes:
- Acted in Western Australia Supreme Court proceedings and District Court proceedings involving a significant civil works and property dispute with a publicly listed company in relation to the upgrade and lease of industrial premises.
- Acted in multi-million dollar adjudications under the Construction Contracts Act 2004 (WA) involving civil works disputes in relation to the construction of the Queen Elizabeth II Medical Centre.
- Acted and advised on civil works disputes (including adjudication under the Construction Contracts Act 2004 (WA)) in relation to the design and construction of dewatering and water transfer infrastructure for the Roy Hill Iron Ore Project.
- Advised and negotiated in respect of civil works disputes in relation to the construction of the Perth Children’s Hospital.
- Advised on a civil works dispute with a publicly listed company in relation to the design, construction and subsequent upgrade of a data centre in Western Australia.
- Acted on significant adjudications under the Construction Contracts Act 2004 (WA), District Court proceedings and Supreme Court proceedings involving civil works disputes in relation to the design and construction of the St Thomas More College Student Accommodation.