Our sports law team combines specialist legal knowledge and expertise with a strong personal involvement in the world of sport. We advise sporting organisations on legal issues – and our team members also play, manage, coach and support a wide variety of sports.
Our experience as legal advisors in sports law includes:
- Governance – governance reviews; assistance with incorporation; Constitutional reform; advice about annual reporting obligations; drafting Member Protection Policies, Codes of Conduct and Tribunal Rules.
- Strategy – restructuring advice and risk assessments.
- Commercial – contract drafting and reviews (players, coaches, ticketing); acting in acquisitions and disposals; negotiating and drafting sponsorship agreements.
- Employment and industrial relations – advice on and drafting employment contracts and enterprise agreements; advice on restraint, disciplinary and misconduct issues; assisting with investigations and terminations; drafting employment policies; advice about health & welfare.
- Intellectual property – advice about branding; advice and representation in relation to copyright and trademark issues, privacy issues and the challenges of technology.
- Property – acting in leasing and licensing, acquisitions and disposals and property developments; advice about land use issues.
- Construction – advising on and drafting construction-related contracts; advice to owners, contractors and facilities services providers in relation to significant developments; procurement advice; risk mitigation strategies for project delivery; representation in relation to Public Private Partnerships (PPPs) and Private Financing Initiatives (PFIs).
- Dispute resolution and litigation – acting in passing off claims, athletes’ personal injury claims, ticketing and contract arrangement disputes, and construction disputes.
- Player and official representation – including representing AFL clubs, club officials, players and spectators in the AFL Tribunal, in contested hearings and hearings on penalty.
We are the exclusive legal advisors to Hawthorn Football Club, and the proud pro bono legal partner of Basketball SA.
Our client base includes sporting teams and clubs, athletes, sports governing bodies, national and state sports organisations, ticketing and marketing agents, community services organisations, registered clubs, event and venue owners and sporting goods retailers.
We take a multi-disciplinary approach to putting together our teams for each sports law project, to ensure that our clients get the expertise they need in a seamless fashion.
Our team members love sport – and we love working in the sporting world.