Advertising & Marketing
Thomson Geer provides expert advice on all advertising and marketing matters.
We advise and assist clients on matters including brand and brand protection, copy clearance, consumer law, intellectual property, packaging and labelling, sponsorships, licensing, marketing disputes, competitions and promotions, and privacy issues.
Our client base includes both manufacturers and retailers in a broad range of industries including cars, household consumer products, telecommunications, food, healthcare, cosmetics, and fashion. We also act for advertising agencies, marketing companies, publishers, internet service providers, television broadcasters, cinemas, charitable organisations, and telecommunications carriers.
Our advertising and marketing services include:
- Advising on direct marketing issues, including in relation to privacy and spam
- Conducting trade mark searches, oppositions, disputes and litigation
- Contentious and non-contentious intellectual property issues
- Court proceedings in respect of breaches of the Australian Consumer Law, including in relation to misleading or deceptive conduct
- Defamation issues
- Drafting and negotiating marketing and promotion agreements, sponsorship agreements, and digital marketing agreements
- Drafting and reviewing terms and conditions for games of skill and games of chance, and applications for trade promotion permits
- Food law issues, including in respect of nutrition and health claims
- Labelling and packaging issues, including in relation to country of origin claims
- Negotiating with industry and regulatory bodies, including the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, the Therapeutic Goods Administration, and the Australian Communications and Media Authority
- Preparation of, and provision of, training in respect of trade practice compliance programs
- Prosecution of trade mark and design applications for registration with IP Australia
- Responding to complaints by consumers, competitors or regulators, including before the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, the Advertising Standards Board, the Advertising Claims Board, and other industry complaint panels
- Reviewing all forms of advertising copy
- Reviewing and advising on advertising and marketing campaigns