As you approach the end of your legal studies it can often be difficult to decide which area of practice is for you, and in which direction you should be driving your career. Participation in our clerkship program is the perfect opportunity for you to explore your interests and get a feel for what it would be like to become part of the team at Thomson Geer after you graduate.
We know you’re not just a student on work experience
We want to give you a realistic and stretching introduction to the legal profession. How does this happen? From day one, you’ll be an active participant in the team, involved in all aspects of legal practice, and working directly with experienced practitioners. We also want you to enjoy your time with us – there are lots of social events you can get involved in – and what better way for you to get to know your colleagues?
What you can expect
We offer a structured program where clerks learn through a combination of hands-on experience, training, coaching and observation.
During your clerkship with Thomson Geer you will:
- participate in a structured induction program spread out over the course of your clerkship, providing you with a thorough introduction to working in a law firm while providing the opportunity to get involved with real work from the very beginning.
- undertake meaningful work for real clients, this includes opportunities to:
- attend client meetings
- observe court proceedings
- conduct legal research
- draft correspondence and court documents
- develop technical skills in areas such as drafting, due diligence and disclosure
- have the assistance and support of a supervising partner as well as a junior lawyer who remembers what it was like to be a new clerk, and can act as a buddy and mentor
- work with a variety of people on a variety of issues
- have weekly catch ups with your mentor and with People & Development
- have secretarial support and access to fantastic technology and research resources
- participate in a formal performance review process with your supervising partner and mentor to reflect on your development and capture feedback from your colleagues.
What we are looking for
We are looking for hard-working and motivated law students who are enthusiastic about commencing their career with a dynamic law firm.
We view all of our clerks as potential graduates, and all of our graduates as potential leaders. We therefore look for the same qualities in our clerks and graduates that our lawyers need to possess.
Our lawyers need to be genuinely interested in our clients and their businesses. They need a critical and curious mind and be passionate about developing solutions for our clients’ legal needs in their commercial context.
Our lawyers need to work constructively in diverse teams with both senior and junior practitioners across legal disciplines and across jurisdictions.
The recruitment process
We try and make our recruitment process as efficient, informative and streamlined as possible for candidates, acknowledging the often stressful nature of this period.
Selected applicants will be invited to participate in an interview process.
Applicants that are selected to progress beyond that stage will be invited to a firm information and networking evening. This night is designed to provide you with the opportunity to meet our partners, some of our recent graduates and learn more about our culture and what sets us apart as an employer. You will have an opportunity to ask questions about the firm and have a chance to let us know more about you.
To submit your application for our Clerkship Program, click here during the application period for each state!
Applications received outside of application period for each state or via any other method (except cvMail) will not be accepted.