Partner - Sydney
+61 2 9020 5757
Jacquie has practiced employment and industrial relations law since 1990 in New South Wales and Victoria.
She has guided clients through three major reforms to the federal industrial relations system, and is now enjoying advising them on the new system that has been created by the Fair Work Act 2009.
An experienced litigator in employment and industrial relations, Jacquie has specialist expertise in discrimination, unfair dismissal, breach of contract claims, industrial disputes, and prosecutions for breach of industrial and safety laws. She is a tough negotiator, and looks for commercial and non-litigious solutions where possible.
Jacquie has expertise across a wide range of industries including education, health and aged care, community services, financial services, IT, retail, manufacturing, transport and agribusiness. She works in both the public and private sectors.
Jacquie has been recognised as a leading practitioner in discrimination law, and is an industry leader in designing and presenting tailored compliance training programs for employers on all the subjects set out above. Jacquie has also been recognised by her peers as one of the Best Lawyers in Australia (2015, 2016) in the area of Labour and Employment Law.
Jacquie is a member of the New South Wales organising committee of both the Australian Labour Law Association, and the Australia and New Zealand Education Law Association. Her work is published in legal and industry publications, and she is sought after as a conference speaker.
Recent experience includes:
- Assisted a large international services organisation to enter the Australian market during changes to federal laws, including advising on transmission of business and award coverage issues under both the Workplace Relations Act 1996 and the Fair Work Act 2009, and preparing all necessary employment-related documents.
- Acted for a large employer association in the award modernisation process in 2009; now working with the same client in the context of the modern award review process.
- Advised a major post-secondary education provider about a restructure of its businesses across Australia, including the strategy for implementation and communication of a large number of redundancies.
- Advised and negotiated on behalf of a community service provider with 58 locations in making its enterprise agreement. The project involved reshaping the agreement to suit Fair Work Act requirements, and successfully challenging the union on jurisdictional issues.
- Regularly defends claims brought against employers. For example, recently succeeded in Fair Work Commission on application to strike out unfair dismissal claim against an international IT sector client for want of jurisdiction; currently managing defence of several discrimination and adverse action claims for a variety of clients.
Back to Our People