Key Facts & Figures
Thomson Geer is a large Australian corporate law firm.
We have around 550 people, including 109 Partners operating out of our offices in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide. By size we are one of the 10 largest law firms operating in Australia, and the 5th largest independent Australian law firm.
Our clients are principally spread across 3 classifications:
ASX Top 200
We work closely with and are retained regularly by 10+ ASX Top 200 corporations. Their industry coverage includes banking, construction, entertainment & media, oil & gas, telecommunications, and transport & logistics.
Major Global Foreign Corporations
We provide regular representation to the Australian interests of 10+ major global foreign corporations. These corporations operate principally in the agricultural investment, building materials, household & healthcare products, life sciences, mining equipment and motor vehicles sectors and are controlled out of Britain, Western & Central Europe, Hong Kong, Japan, and the United States.
ASX Mid and Small Caps/Government Enterprises/Large and Medium Private Corporations
We have an extensive client base covering these classes. 40+ ASX Listed Corporations, 10+ Government enterprises and 50+ large and medium private corporations regularly retain us for legal advisory, transactional or dispute assignments. Key industry coverage of these client classes include aviation, finance, food, gaming and leisure, healthcare, mining & resources, private equity, property development and wealth management.
The nature of our legal assignments is what you would expect of a large corporate law firm. Thomson Geer is regularly engaged on challenging and complex work.
Recent examples include our mergers & acquisition team acting on a A$900 million agribusiness sale and our intellectual property lawyers successfully defending right up to the Australian High Court, a landmark internet copyright test case launched by a consortium of Hollywood Movie Studios.
The depth and quality of our track record is demonstrated by our day to day activities across the Australian economy. For example, recently our:
- banking team has advised on 5+ A$100 million+ financing facilities principally in connection with construction projects;
- equity capital markets team have worked on 20+ ASX capital raising assignments;
- gaming and leisure industry specialists have been involved in 5+ development projects with combined project values in excess of A$500 million;
- healthcare team have advised on research facility/hospital/retirement village development projects with a combined value in excess of A$650 million;
- property and development team have been working on property transactions with a combined value of A$2 billion+; and
- private equity and m&a lawyers have executed 15+ transactions with an average value of A$100 million+.
- In parallel with all of the above project work, our dispute resolution, industrial relations, intellectual property and tax teams have been retained continuously on advisory and dispute assignments in their areas of expertise by the above described client classes.
Quality, values & value
We are not the only large law firm in Australia that:
- is retained for similar quality work by similar client classes; and
- has a deep cultural commitment to the highest ethical standards and strong independent Australian legal counsel.
We do however believe we are amongst a select class of large Australian law firms that offer a depth of quality legal skills and know how across Australia coupled with strong value driven standards and settings.