Tom has more than 25 years’ experience practising commercial property law.
Tom advises his clients on their property sales and acquisitions and has acted on a diverse range of commercial property matters, including sales and purchases of city office blocks, shopping centres, rural land and water holdings, industrial properties, medical centres, retirement villages, and other aged care facilities.
Tom acts on subdivisions of property, from the structuring of the initial strata/stratum document, to completion of sales off the plan. Tom also works as part of larger teams in the firm advising on and dealing with property aspects of major corporate and merger and acquisitions transactions.
As well as advising on sales and acquisitions, Tom acts on the negotiation of commercial, industrial, and retail leases for landlords and tenants.
Tom is a specialist in property law as accredited by the Law Society of New South Wales.
Tom has been recognised by Doyle’s Guide (2017) as a “Recommended” lawyer in the area of Health and Aged Care in New South Wales.
Recent experience includes:
- Acts for Goodman Fielder Limited on its property requirements Australia wide, including commercial and industrial leasing in all states, acquisition of sites, sales of surplus properties, and sundry issues arising out of Goodman Fielder’s property holdings.
- Acted for the Ingham Group on all real estate aspects of its sale to US based private equity firm TPG Capital. Responsibility included a detailed vendor due diligence of all property assets (100+ sites), followed by negotiating the sale terms. The role also involved separating certain assets for the sale and transferring them in to a new ownership vehicle.
- Acted for The Institute of the Sisters of Mercy of Australia and Papua New Guinea (ISMAPNG) on the property issues arising out of the consolidation of 15 different religious orders into one new religious organisation controlling education, health, welfare, and aged care services. This required the transfer of properties in NSW, QLD, SA, ACT, and WA worth approximately A$175 million. It included transferring 300+ titles, mostly for separate properties.
- Acted, and led, a property team on the land acquisition aspects of the purchase of several retirement village and aged care properties for a number of clients specialising in that industry.
- Acts for Paraway Pastoral Company (Macquarie Pastoral Fund) on its purchases, divestments, and leases of rural properties in NSW, including the purchase of access rights, water rights, and licences.
- Acts for a major healthcare provider on its property needs including acquisitions, disposals, leasing, sub-divisions, and development issues of hospitals, medical centres, and research facilities.