Sylvia is an experienced litigator, focusing on commercial and complex litigation, principally in the areas of contract and trade practices law. In recent years, she has led litigation representing major accounting firms, government and multi-national corporations. She has represented these and other clients in trials and appeals in New South Wales and the Federal Court.
Sylvia also has extensive experience in relation to information technology and intellectual property disputes.
She has presented widely on topics relating to corporate governance and the enforcement of intellectual property rights and has presented the component on intellectual property law for Chartered Secretaries Australia’s Graduate Diploma in Applied Corporate Governance.
Sylvia has also completed the directors’ course at the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
Recent experience includes:
- Acting for an Australian media company in relation to allegations involving breach of equitable duties in the Federal Court of Australia.
- Acting for a local government authority in relation to a claim involving contractual and other equitable breaches associated with the exploitation of intellectual property.
- Representing an Australian multi-national manufacturer of steel in relation to a breach of contract claim in the Supreme Court of New South Wales.
- Representing a state owned corporation in a claim over the installation of critical software systems. The high dollar claim was litigated in the Supreme Court of New South Wales. The case was successfully settled in the context of a multi-party mediation.
- Representing a major accounting firm in relation to a large damages claim for breach of warranty and trade practices claims arising from the sale of a business.