Simon is a construction and infrastructure expert.
He has advised a variety of principal and contractor clients on some of the major construction and infrastructure projects in Australia. His experience in construction and infrastructure projects ranges from drafting and negotiating project documentation to advising clients in litigation and other forms of dispute resolution. Simon has also advised on a number of significant construction financing and M&A transactions.
Simon has a depth of industry experience having worked on secondment to the legal teams of major players in the construction, transport, road, rail and maritime industries. In addition, Simon has held engineering and management roles on mining and rail projects.
Simon was recently acknowledged by The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific (2018) for his work in the Dispute Resolution space.
Recent experience includes:
- M1 to M3 Gateway Upgrade Project: advising a tenderer on the M1 M3 Gateway Upgrade Project for the design and construction of approximately 3.8km of the Pacific Motorway between the Gateway Motorway and Rochedale Road to provide five southbound lanes and replacement of the Underwood Road overpass. The project is proposed to be delivered under the Department of Transport and Main Roads Collaborative Project Agreement with an estimated contract value of $170 million.
- MacKay Ring Road Project: advising a tenderer on the MacKay Ring Road Project for the construction of 11.3km of new highway including 13 bridges, commencing at the Stockroute Road and Bruce Highway intersection to the south and terminating at the Bald Hill Road intersection to the north near MacKay. The project is proposed to be delivered under the Transport Infrastructure Contract – Construct Only (TIC-CO) with an estimated contract value of $250 million.
- Stockyard Hill Wind Farm Balance of Plant: advising a tenderer under a joint venture for the Balance of Plant engineering, procurement, construction, testing and commissioning of a Wind Farm in Victoria with an estimated contract value of $350 million.
- NorthConnex: Advising a Joint Venture on downstream aspects of the $3 billion NorthConnex project. At 9.1km in length, NorthConnex will be the longest road tunnel project in Australia. Construction of the tunnel began in 2015 and is expected to be completed in 2019.
- Sydney Ports: Advising on the rail issues associated with the 99-year lease of the State-owned port assets of Port Botany and Port Kembla which was awarded to the NSW Ports Consortium for $5.07 billion. Simon advised on the tender and negotiation of the rail asset management contract for the Port Kembla rail network.
- Burwood Data Centre: Simon was the lead advisor to a big four Australian bank on the design and construction of an upgrade to the bank’s Data Centre. The upgrade works were performed in a live, operating environment and the project was awarded the Asia Pacific ‘Data Centre Transformation Project of the Year’ for 2016.
- York & George: Simon was the lead advisor to the successful tenderer for the design and construction of York & George, a 38 storey mixed residential and retail development in Sydney’s CBD.