Shane has extensive general dispute resolution experience, with a current focus on insurance, commercial litigation and employment advice and disputes. He is a keen advocate of alternative dispute resolution and is a trained mediator. In addition to his many years of experience as a practising lawyer, Shane also spent four years in independent practice working as a Barrister, and is an experienced advocate in State and Federal Courts.
In the insurance field, Shane has extensive experience in most commercial lines of insurance as well as General Liability and Industrial Diseases and has acted for most of Australia’s largest insurers and for many businesses in insurance claims and disputes.
In the course of providing assistance in insurance and employment settings, Shane has appeared as counsel and provided advice in fatal and serious accident prosecutions under the State Occupational Safety and Health Act and in Coroner’s Inquests.
In 2018, Shane implemented an employment health check service to supplement the firm’s existing advice and dispute resolution services in employment disputes. Shane provides front-end contract, award and conditions of employment advice and back-end termination assistance and dispute representation, including crisis management in relation to workplace allegations of harassment and bullying to many businesses in Western Australia, including leading sporting clubs.
Shane has also appeared as counsel in a number of Probate and Estate cases in the Supreme Court of Western Australia.
Relevant experience includes:
- Successfully represented a former company director of a mining company who was sued by the company for damages for breaches of the Corporations Law resulting in a finding of no liability.
- Successfully represented a business owner in a claim alleging breach of the Franchising Code of Conduct and seeking damages with respect to the alleged claim.
- Negotiation of a number of settlements alleging passing off and copyright infringement claim, including one involving the Hell’s Angels Motorcycle Club and the manufacturer of Rocktape.
- As Administrator of a deceased estate, Shane successfully represented the estate of a vendor seeking payment of purchase monies for business assets and land.
- Successful reinstatement of an unfairly dismissed manager to a radio station following a drunken incident at a staff party.
- Successfully defended a public liability claim brought by a claimant crushed by the defendant’s horse.
- Negotiation and settlement of a long running multi-million dollar management and shareholder’s dispute involving complex corporate structures on behalf of unit holders in a software business.