Phillip is a Special Counsel in the Gaming & Leisure Industry Group, which is a pre-eminent legal services provider to the industry in Australia and the Asia-Pacific.
He has acted on some of the largest and most complex property transactions and property development projects in Australia and in the gaming and leisure industry (in particular property transaction and development projects in the New South Wales registered clubs sector).
Phillip has extensive experience in all aspects of the property sector including development projects, project delivery, joint venture arrangements, project and property management, and the acquisition, disposal and leasing of assets in all property classes (leisure, commercial, retail, medical, industrial, and residential properties).
Phillip primarily acts for industry clients on their property development projects and general property transactions. He has also acted for corporate and institutional clients for some 15 years.
Prior to joining the firm, Phillip spent five years in the Real Estate Group of another major national firm.
Phillip prides himself on his ability to provide clients with practical and commercial legal advice on their property development projects and general property transactions, and his ability to work closely with his clients’ project teams to ensure that the design, construction, and operation of their projects are carried out and delivered in manner that meets the client’s expected outcomes and commercial arrangements.
Recent experience includes:
- Advised Revesby Workers Club on a staged mixed use development project comprising a retail shopping centre, a medical centre, a ten pin bowling centre, a 90 place child care centre, a health and fitness centre, the refurbishment and upgrade of the Club’s existing premises, and the construction of a 6 level basement and deck car park. Phillip advised the club on all of the property aspects of the project including the engagement of all major project consultants, project financing arrangements with NAB, and the negotiation and administration of all tenancy agreements with the major tenants such as Coles Supermarkets, Ekera Medical, and Ardent Leisure (AMF).
- Advised New Brighton Golf Club (NBGC) on a project involving the development of up to 400 residential dwellings on 13 hectares of land owned by NBGC, the redevelopment of NBGC’s existing golf course, and the construction of a new clubhouse. The project is being carried out by Mirvac on behalf of the Club, and Phillip advised on the structure of the project delivery arrangements and negotiated the financing agreements.
- Advised Bankstown RSL Club (BRSL) on all aspects of the structured sale of their current premises to a major property developer and is now advising on all of the property aspects of the development by the Club of a state of the art new club premises on land owned by the Club adjacent to their premises, which will include a 250 room ACCOR Mercure Hotel. Phillip negotiated, drafted and finalised the suite of documents for the sale, including the put and call option to sell their current premises, the lease back of the property from the purchaser on completion of the sale while the new premises are being constructed, the vendor finance and security arrangements associated with the sale and the franchise agreements with ACCOR, together with drafting, negotiating and finalising the engagement of all of the major project consultants for the new club premises.
- Advising Campsie RSL Sub-Branch Club Ltd on the first stage of the development of part of their land, with that first stage comprising a seniors independent living complex, retail premises and a three level basement car park. Phillip has advised on all of the property aspects of the project to date including negotiating, drafting and finalising all of the agreements with the major project consultants, including the development management agreement, the project management agreement and the architectural services agreement as well as acting on the purchase of additional land required for the project.
- Advised the Toronto Diggers Club on the development of a 5 level building comprising one level of retail, two levels of medical uses, and two levels of basement car parking. Phillip advised and negotiated on a range of project aspects, including the agreements for the appointment of the development manager for the project, the property manager for the completed development, and general development matters associated with the project. Philip also advised on tenancy agreements for the leasing of premises within the completed development, including the agreement for lease with the anchor tenant, IPN Medical Centres (a member of the listed Sonic Healthcare group of companies).