Paul’s practice covers information technology, intellectual property and general procurement, and entertainment law.
His areas of expertise include technology contracts (including outsourcing, and website, software and hardware projects), general procurement tendering and contracting, intellectual property commercialisation, and content and technology development and licensing.
Paul also specialises in advising and acting on litigation and licensing, copyright issues, trade marks, due diligence, dispute resolution, privacy, and entertainment law. Paul and his team also manage trade marks portfolios for clients of the firm.
Paul has acted for some of Australia’s largest listed companies, not-for-profit organisations, and a range of large and small private companies, including technology and content provider start-ups.
Paul has undertaken secondments to a senior in-house role with a large financial services company where he assisted the client’s general procurement and IT sourcing teams.
Paul assisted a large multinational client and, separately, an industry body to prepare submissions to the recent Productivity Commission inquiry into Australia’s IP arrangements.
Paul has been recognised by his peers in Best Lawyers in Australia in the area of Entertainment Law (2017) and in Doyle’s Guide (2015-2016) as a recommended lawyer in the technology, media and telecommunications space in Victoria.
Recent experience includes:
- Acting for an Indian business process outsourcing services provider in a contract with a listed Australian entity.
- Acting for a listed gaming industry company in drafting and negotiating project agreements for a software and hardware implementation project.
- Advising OptiComm Co Pty Ltd on drafting and negotiating of a range of network installation and services agreements.
- Advising a telecommunications company on drafting a contract for supply and installation of a voice switching system.
- Advising a large Australian internet service provider on an alliance agreement with a provider of an IPTV service and negotiation of content acquisition arrangements.
- Assisting clients with submissions to government inquiries into IP issues.
- Advising a multinational sporting goods manufacturer and distributor on parallel importing issues relating to unauthorised goods imported into Australia.
- Preparing submissions for clients to the Productivity Commission inquiry into Australia’s IP Arrangements.
- Advising on trade mark opposition proceedings for multiple clients.