Nick is a Special Counsel in the Disputes team with more than ten years’ experience in commercial litigation and dispute resolution, and restructuring and insolvency.
He advises insolvency practitioners, banks and individuals in relation to all aspects of corporate insolvency including receivership, voluntary administration and liquidation, as well as personal insolvency. He also acts for a variety of companies and businesses involved in commercial litigation, including publicly-listed companies, financial services providers, and banks and other lenders. Nick is a keen advocate and regularly appears in Court at all levels in Victoria, and in the Federal Court.
Nick also has first-hand experience of the operation of banks and other large organisations, having spent two years working as in-house Legal Counsel for Fortis Bank (now Credit Suisse) in Dublin, which specialised in the provision of banking and other financial services to investment funds.
Recent experience includes:
- Acting for an ASX-listed lender defending a $45m class action in the Federal Court in New South Wales and obtaining Court approval of the settlement.
- Acting for the Liquidators of the Heritage Golf and Country Club, including successfully obtaining orders and declarations in relation to unreasonable director-related transactions and uncommercial transactions under the Corporations Act and obtaining Court approval of a settlement entered into by the Liquidators with the remaining secured creditors.
- Acting for a trustee in bankruptcy and successfully obtaining judgment in respect of an undervalued transaction involving real property under the Bankruptcy Act.
- Acting for the Receivers and Managers of a company with significant rural landholdings, including in respect of five separate Supreme Court proceedings.
Acting for the Liquidator of a Co-Operative and successfully obtaining Court approval of his remuneration.
- Acting for the Liquidators of a major construction company, including conducting public examinations in respect of its financial affairs.
- Acting for the Receivers and Managers of a failed Telco, including obtaining urgent injunctions to prevent interference with its assets by the former officers.