Michael has 30 years’ experience in property law, and is considered to be one of the leading property lawyers in Australia.
Michael advises across a comprehensive range of property issues and transactions including property sales, acquisitions and developments, due diligence for strategic acquisitions, shopping centre expansions and redevelopments, joint ventures and leasing of all types. He works with clients in the commercial, retail and industrial property sectors.
Michael regularly presents seminars on a diverse range of property-related topics to clients, industry agencies and government agencies.
Michael has most recently received the following recognitions:
- Best Lawyers – South Australian “Lawyer of the Year” for Real Property Law (2014-15, & 2018) and most recently Leasing Law (2020). He has been recognised by Best Lawyers Australia in Real Property Law (2019 & 2020).
- Doyle’s Guide (2017 – 2018) – Leading Property & Real Estate Lawyer in South Australia.
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2019) – Real Estate
Recent experience includes:
- Acted for Flinders Ports in a land swap transaction with the SA State Government involving the acquisition of various land parcels at Port Adelaide which included some 80 documents including surrenders, grants of new head leases, option agreements, encumbrances and complex ‘soil contamination liability’ positions and rail corridor services.
- Advised Asia Pacific Limited in the preparation of a master suite of documents and proforma off the plan sales contract for ‘The Watson’ (a 10 storey apartment development at Walkerville) and for ‘Vue on KWS’ (a multi-storey residential development in King William Street, Adelaide).
- Acted for Pacific Group of Companies in its ‘Rundle Place’ shopping centre and office tower development in Rundle Mall, Adelaide.
- Advised Medicare Australia (as tenant), including negotiation with numerous landlords of all of its 270 leases Australia-wide.
- Acted for various purchasers and vendors in the sale and purchase of the Myer Centre, Arndale Shopping Centre, Golden Grove Village Shopping Centre, Ingle Farm Shopping Centre, Lakes Village Shopping Centre and other assets.
- Acted for AMF Bowling as their national lawyer for all leasing work. AMF Bowling owns a number of sites in Australia leased to complementary businesses. AMF is also the tenant in a number of properties and Michael negotiated the agreement for lease and actual lease for these sites.