Julius is one of Western Australia’s leading planning and environment lawyers, advising clients throughout all stages of the planning and environmental approval processes. He has acted for clients across all industry sectors in respect of planning & subdivision approvals, environmental permits, Works Approvals & Licences, land acquisition & compensation, heritage, contaminated sites and all forms of regulatory compliance.
He has conducted numerous State Administrative Tribunal proceedings and appeals to the Supreme Court in all of these areas.
Julius’ other principal focus is local government. He has advised in this area for more than 20 years. In addition to acting for local governments in planning and development matters, where his experience in acting for both local government and the private sector provides a unique perspective and benefits, he has advised and represented local governments across Western Australia in relation to a range of matters. This has included major projects involving complex land transactions and private-sector partnerships, public works, governance & administration and tendering & procurement.
Julius is recognised in Doyle’s Guide as a Leading Western Australian Planning and Environment Lawyer (2010 – 2019). He has also been listed in Best Lawyers in Australia for his work in Planning & Environment Law (2014-2020), Government Practice (2020), Land Use & Zoning Law (2014-2020), Property Law (2014-2020) and was named Perth Planning and Environment Lawyer of the Year (2015).
Relevant experience includes:
- Advising a Local Government on conditional land sale provisions incorporating the redevelopment of a strategic CBD landholding in accordance with the requirements of the Local Government, including ensuring compliance with statutory provisions relating to a major land transaction.
- Acting for a major waste industry operator to obtain an extension of development approval and managing environmental approval processes for a highly controversial landfill proposal in close proximity to the Perth metropolitan area, notwithstanding fundamental changes to the planning framework since the original development approval was granted.
- Advising both landowners and acquiring authorities in relation to the taking of land for public works including the Perth-Bunbury Highway, Great Eastern Highway and Northlink WA, including the negotiation and settlement of various claims for compensation.
- Representing a Local Government in Supreme Court judicial review proceedings challenging the heritage listing of a significant residential property on the Swan River foreshore. The proceedings involved numerous issues regarding the procedures for heritage listing and the actions taken by the Local Government making the listing.
- Advising several not-for-profit aged care providers on exemptions from rating by Local Governments, including representation in proceedings before both the State Administrative Tribunal and the Supreme Court as to whether various financing models utilised for aged-care services precluded those services from being “charitable” in nature.