Julie is a Partner in the Aged Care and Retirement Living team at Thomson Geer.
Julie is acknowledged as a leading provider of legal services to the aged care and retirement living industries, and has an intimate understanding of the legal issues critical to this sector. She advises a large range of aged care providers and retirement living operators including publicly listed groups, private groups and not for profits.
Julie provides advice to operators on acquisitions and sales, major incident management, coronial matters and all regulatory issues. She regularly provides advice to industry associations and key stakeholders about regulatory matters relevant to both aged care and retirement living.
Julie has been recognised by Best Lawyers in Australia as a leading lawyer in ‘Retirement Villages and Senior Living Law’ and ‘Health and Aged Care Law’ every year since 2012, and is recognised as a preeminent lawyer in health and aged care in Queensland by Doyle’s Guide (2018 – 2019).
She is also a graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
- Acting for aged care providers in relation to the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety.
- Acting for aged care providers in the review of administrative decisions including revocation of accreditation of an aged care service and the imposition of sanctions on an approved provider in respect of a residential aged care facility.
- Advising aged care providers on approvals, transfer of places and managing provisionally allocated places.
- Providing advice to aged care providers and retirement village operators on a multitude of regulatory compliance issues including security of tenure, substitute decision making, financial arrangements and prudential compliance.
- Preparing public information documents and residence contracts for retirement village operators.
- Developing and implementing training packages for aged care providers and retirement village operators in workplace health and safety, medication management, substitute decision-making, end of life decisions and managing major clinical incidents. Thomson Geer provides training services to clients directly. We are also engaged by the Leading Age Services Training Institute to provide a suite of training programs, which are delivered throughout the year.
- Advising aged care providers on aged care governance and the role of risk management and corrective action.
- Advising various aged care providers on prudential bond management issues and associated restructuring.
Acquisition, Disposal, Development and Structuring
- Advised a listed aged care provider on the acquisition of four aged care facilities in New South Wales and Queensland.
- Acting in various acquisitions and disposals of aged care providers, aged care services and retirement villages both as share and asset sales, including review and negotiation of contracts, conducting legal due diligence, advising on regulatory issues including the transfer of aged care places .
- Providing complex regulatory compliance advice to aged care providers and retirement village operators in the development of innovative seniors living models.