A significant aspect of Josh’s practice is representing franchisors in connection with the establishment and development of franchised businesses, and related intellectual property and competition law issues. Josh acts for many leading franchise networks in relation to both their Australian and international operations. He has assisted Australian franchise systems to expand into many countries across the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, and Asia, as well as implementing new franchised, licensing and distribution networks within Australia.
Josh is the Deputy Chair of the Law Council of Australia’s Competition and Consumer Law Committee. He has been recognised by his peers as one of the Best Lawyers in Australia for competition law and intellectual property each year since 2010, information technology since 2011, regulatory since 2012 and franchising since 2013. He has been named “Lawyer of the Year” in the 2016 and 2017 edition of this publication in the areas of regulatory and intellectual property respectively. In the 2015 and 2016 editions of Doyle’s Guide, Josh has been recognised as a preeminent lawyer in the South Australian IP market, and a leading lawyer in the area of technology, media and telecommunications.
Josh has been Deputy Chair of the Law Council of Australia’s Competition and Consumer Committee since 2011. He is also immediate past president of the Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (SA chapter), and a member of the Franchise Council of Australia’s Legal Committee.
In addition to his legal practice, Josh is the Office Leader of the Adelaide office of Thomson Geer.
Recent experience includes:
- Advising commercial, government, and university clients regarding intellectual property and technology protection and commercialisation, including establishment and unwinding of R&D and collaborate research arrangements, establishment of joint ventures, cross border licensing arrangements, technology procurement, supply manufacture and distribution arrangements, and the sale or disposal of a range of intellectual property assets.
- Acting for commercial clients across a range of industries in disputes to enforce intellectual property assets (or defend allegations of infringement), including acting in litigation in the High Court, Federal Court, and state Supreme Courts to enforce rights in trade marks, patents, copyrights, designs, and trade secrets (confidential information).
- Advising major franchised and distribution networks regarding strategic and legal issues, including compliance with the Franchising Code of Conduct and Australian Consumer Law, national and international joint venture and licensing arrangements and competition issues.
- Advising clients on competition issues including merger clearance and antitrust issues, authorisations and notifications, and the structuring of joint ventures and other commercial arrangements to ensure compliance with the anticompetitive conduct provisions of the Competition and Consumer Act.
- Representing commercial clients in relation to investigations and enforcement action initiated by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), and in the design and implementation of trade practices and privacy law compliance programs.