Jacquie has practised employment law, discrimination law and education law since 1990.
She has guided clients through four major reforms to the federal industrial relations system.
An experienced litigator in employment and industrial relations, Jacquie has specialist expertise in discrimination, unfair dismissal, breach of contract claims, industrial disputes, and prosecutions for breach of awards, industrial and safety laws. She is a tough negotiator, and looks for commercial and non-litigious solutions where possible.
Jacquie works in both the public and private sectors, and her expertise spans a wide range of industries including education, health and aged care, community services, financial services, IT, retail, manufacturing, transport and agribusiness.
Jacquie’s education sector clients cover the education lifecycle, including preschools, schools, universities and other post-secondary education providers. She advises these clients not only on employment-related issues but also on the broadest range of education law issues. Jacquie is NSW Chapter Vice President for the Australia & New Zealand Education Law Association.
Jacquie has been acknowledged by The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific (2018) for her work in Labour and Employment law, and recognised by Doyle’s Guide (2018) as a recommended Employment (Employer Representation) lawyer.
Jacquie has also been recognised by her peers as one of the Best Lawyers in Australia (2014 – 2019) in the area of Labour and Employment Law, and also in Employee Benefits Law (2019).
She is a leading practitioner in discrimination law, and an industry leader in designing and presenting tailored compliance training programs for employers.
Jacquie’s work is published in legal and industry publications, and she is sought after as a conference speaker. She co-authored the employment law chapter in Higher Education and the Law (Federation Press, 2015). The book has been described as an ‘invaluable resource… the first comprehensive exploration of the law and higher education in Australia’. Jacquie has written a chapter about religion and schools which will be published in a new international handbook on schools law.
Recent experience includes:
- Assisted a large international travel services organisation to enter the Australian market during changes to federal laws, including advising on transmission of business and award coverage issues under both the Workplace Relations Act 1996 and the Fair Work Act 2009, and preparing all necessary employment-related documents.
- Advised a major post-secondary education provider about a restructure of its businesses across Australia, including the strategy for implementation and communication of a large number of redundancies.
- Acted for a large trade employer association in the award modernisation process in 2009 and modern award review process in 2014.
- Advised and negotiated on behalf of a community service provider with 58 locations in making its enterprise agreement. The project involved reshaping the agreement to suit Fair Work Act requirements, and successfully challenging the union on jurisdictional issues.
- Acted for a national aged care provider in relation to its acquisition of an aged care facility with its own enterprise agreement. This raised industrial and administrative issues in terms of integrating affected employees. Provided strategic advice and representation in the Fair Work Commission, obtaining an order to terminate the facility’s enterprise agreement.
- Advised a university in negotiations about the provision of specialist training courses in an overseas location, including drafting contracts to meet the requirements of two very different jurisdictions.
- Regularly defends claims brought against employers. For example:
- Succeeded in Fair Work Commission on application to strike out unfair dismissal claim against an international IT sector client for want of jurisdiction;
- Advising a large education provider in relation to a series of performance and conduct management processes, including two involving formal external investigations. Some of these processes led to termination of employment/engagement and some to negotiated resignations and demotions;
- Acting for an aged care provider in relation to claims for breach of enterprise agreement dispute provisions brought by employees;
- Acting for a higher education institution in defending a series of related complaints involving allegations of race discrimination and privacy issues.
- Advising the new CEO of an early childhood education provider on regularising employment arrangements, including drafting new template employment contracts and independent contractor agreements.
- Advised an American technology company about policies and compliance strategy, producing new employee handbook covering the full range of compliance issues.
- Designing safety management systems for schools, including a system for managing risks arising in the course of a major overseas tour and affecting both staff and students.
- Advising on and negotiating terms for the outsourcing of a large community K-12 school’s facilities maintenance function.