Geoff specialises in construction and engineering matters and regularly advises on the preparation of construction contracts and significant building and construction disputes for a number of large contractors, property owners, and government. He has experience in a wide range of building and construction disputes including claims under security of payment legislation, professional negligence claims against consultants, variation claims, time related claims and claims with respect to defective works.
Geoff has extensive experience in providing advice in relation to commercial disputes, the conduct of proceedings in both Federal and State Courts, arbitrations, expert determinations, and all forms of alternative dispute resolution.
Geoff has been recognised by his peers as one of the Best Lawyers in Australia in the area of Construction/Infrastructure law (2019).
Geoff has been recommended in Doyle’s Guide as a leading construction lawyer in South Australia (2011 – 2014, 2016), a recommended construction & infrastructure litigation lawyer (2017 – 2018) and a recommended lawyer in the area of commercial litigation and dispute resolution (2016).
Recent experience includes:
- Acting for an ASX-listed company in a significant joint venture dispute concerning the exercise of contractual rights which was the subject of an ICC arbitration.
- Acting for a contractor in a significant Supreme Court of Queensland litigation relating to construction and engineering disputes.
- Acting for a Government Department in relation to a significant defective works claim against a contractor with design and construct obligations including the conduct of proceedings in the Supreme Court of South Australia.
- Acting for a statutory corporation in relation to a significant dispute with a contractor with respect to an outsourcing contract for the operation and maintenance of essential services and disputes relating to capital works projects. This dispute involved both proceedings in the Supreme Court of South Australia and two expert determinations. The statutory corporation made a significant recovery.
- Acting for a principal with respect to the negotiation and preparation of an Early Contractor Involvement Agreement and Design and Construct Contract with respect to a significant apartment complex in the Adelaide CBD.