David leads the firm’s Sydney Corporate team. He is an experienced and well regarded legal adviser to listed public companies, private equity funds, large and medium sized private companies, and other business entities. David works extensively with the CEOs, CFOs, Executive Directors, and other executives of his clients who value his commitment to, and focus on, maximising the commercial outcomes they seek.
David’s expertise includes takeovers, private equity transactions, capital raisings, advising on divestments, mergers by way of schemes of arrangement and other joint venture arrangements, and a broad range of one-off commercial transactions. He is also an experienced and skilled negotiator, and is recognised for his innovative and results-oriented approach.
David has been ranked in Chambers Asia Pacific (2015 – 2019) where he is warmly praised by clients for his combination of legal and commercial acumen, highlighting his “ability to focus on critical issues” and his “pragmatic approach.”
David has also been recognised in the Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2017) as a recommended lawyer in the areas of Corporate and M&A within Australia, and was again acknowledged in the latest edition (2018) for his work in the Corporate and M&A space.
David has been recognised by his peers as one of the Best Lawyers in Australia (2016 – 2019) in the area of Mergers and Acquisitions Law. He has also been recognised by his peers and clients in Doyle’s Guide (2015) as a recommended Corporate lawyer in NSW.
David is a fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and a member of the Australian Securities and Investments Commission’s Corporate Finance Liaison Committee.
Recent experience includes:
- Acting for Bidder (Pro-Pac Packaging Limited) on its acquisition of the Target (Perfection Packaging Pty Ltd and Perfection Packaging Unit Trust), and its underwritten $59.8 million capital raising (by way of a 2 tranche placement and share purchase plan) to fund the acquisition.
- Acting for NASDAQ-listed engineering services company Tetra Tech, Inc. (NASDAQ:TTEK) on its successful A$109 million acquisition of all of the shares in ASX-listed Coffey International Ltd (ASX:COF), by way of off market takeover bid and compulsory acquisition. The matter involved FIRB approval and interactions with ASX and ASIC.
- Advising QSR on the conditional sale of 100% of shares in the company, which owns and operates 42 KFC stores in New South Wales, to New Zealand Stock Exchange listed Restaurant Brands New Zealand Limited (NZX:RBD), for a total consideration of A$82.4 million to be satisfied by approximately A$60 million in cash and the balance in RBD shares.
- Acting on the partial divestment by the founding shareholders and key management of Device Technologies Australia to private equity firms HarbourVest (US) / RMB Capital Partners (AU).
- Advising National Veterinary Associates on the roll up of approximately 35 veterinary practices across Australia.
- Advising Adexum Private Equity on its investment into SWC Group.
- Advising Renegade Gas Group (trading as Supagas) on the sell down and partial scrip rollover to Taiyo Nippon Sanso Corporation (TYO:4091), a listed Japanese company which forms part of the larger Mitsubishi conglomerate
- Acting for Seafolly in the sale of a large stake in the swimwear group to L Capital, the Asian private equity arm of global luxury goods group Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessey (LVMH).
- Advising Staging Connections on its takeover by way of court approved scheme of arrangement by the US-based Freeman Audio Visual Inc.
- Acting on the sale of Sydney based radiology-group, Southern Radiology Group, to ASX listed Capitol Health Limited (ASX:CAJ).
- Acting on the sale of the iconic Ingham Group to US based private equity firm TPG Capital.