Chris practises in a diverse range of property law, with a strong focus on major commercial acquisitions and leasing as well as renewable energy and infrastructure projects.
Chris regularly acts for vendors, purchasers, landlords, tenants and developers. He has expertise in the preparation of numerous property documents with varying levels of complexity including contracts for sale, leases, easements, encumbrances, land divisions and caveats. He also regularly undertakes property related due diligence.
Chris has been recognised by his peers as one of the Best Lawyers in Australia in the area of Leasing law (2019 & 2020). Chris has also been recognised by Doyle’s Guide in 2016 and 2017 as a National Rising Star and 2019 as a recommended South Australian Lawyer in both the Property & Real Estate and Health & Aged Care industries. He has recently been recognised by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific in the area of Real Estate.
Chris has guest lectured at Flinders University of South Australia and regularly speaks at property seminars for the Property Council of Australia and the Australian Property Institute.
He holds a commerce degree with a major in accounting and currently sits on the SA Property Council’s Diversity Committee.
Recent experience includes:
- CWP Renewables – Successfully assisted in achieving financial close for the 37 turbine, 135 MW Crudine Ridge Wind Farm Project near Mudgee, New South Wales. This is the third wind farm project for which Chris and his team have assisted CWP Renewables in achieving close since 2014.
- CWP Renewables – Providing ‘whole of life’ property advice and attending to the preparation and negotiation of all property documentation for the Boco Rock Wind Farm (which comprises 67 turbines and was built in 2012) and the Sapphire Wind Farm (which comprises 75 turbines and on which construction commenced in late 2016).
- Calvary Health Care – Providing advice on and negotiating the property documentation for Calvary’s new $300 million Calvary Adelaide Hospital (which is under construction and will be Adelaide’s largest private hospital).
- Point Parking – Providing advice on and preparation and negotiation of all documentation for a new parking business which has quickly grown to operate over 30 car parks in the eastern states.
- Various institutional and private investors – Preparing and negotiating sale contracts for a number of high profile commercial, agricultural and industrial properties in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney.
- Various institutional and private investors – Undertaking significant due diligence for the purchase of properties including properties with a purchase price in excess of $120 million.
- Medium to high level private owners and property funds – Preparing and negotiating leasing arrangements for a number of different landlords in respect of varying types of premises including industrial, commercial (including both office and retail) and rural as well as more unusual premises including hospitals, service stations and financial institutions.