Ben practises in all areas of intellectual property law including agreements and disputes, information technology, privacy, confidential information, competition and consumer law, and litigation. In addition to his intellectual property law experience, Ben is also an experienced practitioner in the area of defamation and media law.
Ben has considerable specialist litigation and prosecution experience in patent, copyright, trade mark, designs, and confidential information matters. Ben’s experience extends from acting locally in Queensland, to national and international matters. He also has broad experience across the Federal Court of Australia.
Ben advises international and national clients on their intellectual property and technology related contracts (including technology development and outsourcing arrangements), technology and IP licensing, research collaborations, e-commerce, intellectual property commercialisation, distribution agreements, other technology and intellectual property procurement and supply agreements, and regulatory compliance issues. Ben has experience acting as the independent reviewer of companies’ competition and consumer law compliance programs and reporting to the ACCC.
Ben is a qualified mediator, and acts as mediator in a variety of disputes. He also has experience in acting for clients and as an independent supervising solicitor in the execution of Anton Piller orders.
Ben has completed his Masters of Laws specialising in intellectual property law. He is a current committee member of the Queensland Law Society’s (QLS) Technology and Intellectual Property Committee and long-serving past committee member of the QLS Competition and Consumer Law Committee. He is a long-serving past committee member and treasurer of the Licensing and Executives Society of Australia & New Zealand (LESANZ) (Queensland Chapter), and a member of the Intellectual Property Society of Australia & New Zealand (IPSANZ), Law Council of Australia Intellectual Property Committee as well as the Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC).
Awards and Recommendations
- Listed on the Educator’s Hot List (2017) for his leadership in the Australian education sector.
- Recognised by Doyle’s Guide as a “preeminent” lawyer in the area of Intellectual Property law (2017 – 2019), and in the area was previously acknowledged as a “leading” lawyer (2015 – 2016). Ben is also recognised as a “recommended” lawyer in the area of Technology, Media and Telecommunications (2015, 2017, 2018 & 2019).
- Recognised in a Doyle’s Guide editorial as one of the “next generation of IP & TMT lawyers who now make up the majority of individuals in our rankings“. Ben was noted as looking to “cater well to the fiercely competitive Queensland IP & TMT markets in years to come“.
- Named as Best Lawyers 2016 Defamation and Media “Lawyer of the Year” in Brisbane.
- Selected by his peers for inclusion for Intellectual Property – Best Lawyers in Australia: 2014 – 2020.
- Selected by his peers for inclusion for Defamation and Media Law – Best Lawyers in Australia: 2014 – 2020.
- Selected by his peers for inclusion for Alternative Dispute Resolution – Best Lawyers in Australia: 2016 – 2020.
- Selected by his peers for inclusion for Franchise Law – Best Lawyers in Australia: 2016 – 2020.
- “Rising Star” and “Recommended”, Intellectual Property – Doyle’s Guide: 2010 and 2012.
- Ben has been acknowledged by The Legal 500 Asia-Pacific (2018 & 2019) for his work in the Intellectual Property space.
Recent experience includes:
- Acted for the Hart Trading Pty Ltd in their successful defence to allegations of breaches of consumer legislation relating to the sale of a franchised business.
- Acted for Uniline Australia Ltd in its successful patent and designs litigation against SBriggs Pty Ltd. This technology relates to a mechanical product used in blinds.
- Acted for Pac Mining and Central Queensland Mining Supplies and CQMS in patent litigation against Esco Corporation and Bradken Resources which went up to the High Court of Australia. The technology relates to the coal industry.