Our multi-disciplinary team really understands the world of education.
Our specialist lawyers have been working in education for decades. Our clients are early learning centres, schools (public and private), universities and other post-secondary education providers – in other words, we work across the complete education lifecycle.
Our work includes advising and representing our education sector clients on:
- employment: teaching and non-teaching staff contracts, performance and conduct issues, inquiries and disciplinary matters, terminations and claims;
- industrial relations: interpreting awards, drafting and negotiating enterprise agreements, and dealing with disputes;
- child protection, from both employment and compliance perspectives;
- relationships with students, including enrolment contracts, admission issues including potential discrimination, behavioural and disciplinary issues and student complaints;
- bullying (including cyber bullying) affecting students and staff: policies, training, responding to issues and complaints;
- safety, including management systems for school excursions and events;
- privacy, including dealing with student and parent information;
- licensing and intellectual property, including drafting agreements and responding to new technologies inside and outside the teaching environment;
- research and academic integrity issues;
- property & accommodation: agreement for lease and leases; acquisition and disposal of property interests and related commercial property requirements;
- construction, refurbishment and facilities maintenance & operations: Requests for Tender, selection of project delivery model, tender processes and assessment, letters of intent, construction (including fit-out) contracts, consultants agreements, project management agreements, facilities maintenance & operations agreements, equipment supply & installation agreements;
- board and governance issues, including in relation to funding and relationships with stakeholders including churches and governments.